duminică, 26 septembrie 2010

Kudryavtseva wins Russian battle in Tashkent


Tashkent, September 25: 7th seeded and world ranked 103rd player Alla Kudryavtseva outplayed 4th seeded and 72nd ranked Elena Vesnina in an all Russian final to lift the singles title at Tashkent Open.

Kudryavtseva, the runner-up at Gunagzhou , made it to a second final and beat better ranked Vesnina, 6-4 6-4 in 1 hour 34 minutes to become the first Russian player to win the title here in the last 12 years of the existence of the event . It was also her first WTA career title.

"I was a nervous for sure. I did not expect to win. It was high pressure situation.” Alla said. “The score line looked as if it was an easy final, but out there it wasn’t. The first was closed out with just one break but the second we both broke each other and was not getting easy at all. «My serve helped me more than anything else. I got it in big and it helped me.”

Being asked about her future events, Alla said: “Looking forward I don’t want to be carried away. I would like to have moderate expectations.”

When told that no winner of Tashkent Open has been back here to defend her title, Alla said “Yes I will return to defend my title, I would prefer to go to a place where I feel at home. Here in Tashkent there are many who speak Russian and I feel at home here. Moreover, one must go back to tournaments where you win as one feels good and it gets back the happy memories of the past year. So even if I could be ranked higher next year, I will return to defend my title.”

The dejected No.4 seed Elena Vesnina who looked in great form till the finals today said “I did not play as well as I played in the whole week, I congratulate Alla on winning her first title on the tour. I surely need to work hard on my game and strokes. But Alla played amazing tennis.”


The winner Kudryavtseva pocketed $37,000 and earned 280 WTA points, while the runner-up Vesnina took home $19,000 and 200 WTA points apart from the trade mark traditional gold embroidered Uzbek costume.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu