vineri, 4 martie 2011

Argentina - Romania : Thoughts

As we know, Romania faces Argentina in the Davis Cup first round tie this weekend, in Buenos Aires. The hosts have the first chance, but everything can happen in Davis Cup. Here are some of the players' and close people's thoughts.

Nalbandian - Ungur

Adrian Ungur (183 ATP) will play the opening rubber against world No. 19 and Argentinian leader Nalbandian. David is still recovering from an hernia and admitted he is not in the best shape, but he is able and willing to play. "I feel good. I'm not at a 100 percent, but good enough. Davis Cup is completely different from the tour... the pressure, the people, the team. I enjoy very much playing in front of my own crowd," he said.
I agree with that. In Davis Cup, the crowd is very important. I don't mean that if the guests lose, they lose because of this, but it is a competition between countries, so the countrymen's support means a lot for every player. "Argentina is the favourite, for sure," Andrei Pavel said. "As we know, the crowd can get behind really bad, especially in such an event as Davis Cup, but I believe in my team, I believe in my players. They've worked hard the last couple of weeks."
Pavel had to choose the second singles player between Crivoi and Ungur, who are very close in the rankings. 'Cneazul', as he is nicknamed in Romania (meaning 'The Duke') finally decided in Adi's favour, probably because he played last week in Acapulco against Ferrer, who is a Top 10 player. "The match against David Nalbandian is not the most important of Adrian's career. If you ask Tiriac or Nastase, they will also say Argentina is the favourite. But as a proverb says, 'if you're afraid of water, don't go fishing'," said Ungur's mother-in-law.

Monaco - Hanescu

Victor is set once again to play on all three days. He has no negative records against the players in the Argentinian team (4-0 against Chela, 1-0 against Nalbandian and 1-1 against Schwank and Monaco). "I would have preferred to play the first match, but in the end it is almost the same," he said. "I want to give Romania the point. I feel good right now, after a couple of weeks playing in South America to adapt to the conditions and the surface."

With Hanescu in a good day, it could be 1-1 after the first two rubbers. The problem is that in the last time he didn't play at his best level in singles and he faces Monaco, who is a tough opponent. However, maybe one of the many Davis Cup miracles will happen today.

Chela/Schwank - Hanescu/Tecau

Here is the match whence I believe Romania will take the point (one of the points, guys!). Horia and Victor keep growing as a team and Lindstedt's injury gave them a chance to play together apart Davis Cup, in Acapulco, where they took the trophy. This certainly means a lot for them, they should be confident and relaxed. "We have our chance, especially now that Horia and Victor Hanescu are in a great form. In doubles we are over Arge
ntina," said former captain Florin Segarceanu.

I tried to stay objective, but I have to say that. You may have Pico, but... Our guys are prettier!

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu