sâmbătă, 5 martie 2011

Argentina leads 2-0 after Day 1

Not the best start for our team. They, just like us, were probably hoping for a 1-1, as Hanescu faced Monaco. Now, the doubles victory is vital but first, a really short summary of yesterday.

Nalbandian - Ungur : 6-3 6-2 5-7 6-4


He took a set. To Nalbandian. It means something! No one can say Ungur didn't play good or felt the pressure of the crowd. He was calm and focused and was able to keep the Argentinian on the court for three hours and four minutes, at a high level. The third set was the magical one for Adi. After wasting break points in all sets, at 5-all he managed to win on Nalbandian's serve and take the set. Especially now he prooved that his best shot is a strong one-handed backhand which can make even a former world No. 3 scream and get angry.

In the fourth, David overcame the killing pain to play for his country and did it so well that I can't not mention all my respects for him. 6-3 and he raises his head to the sky. He shakes Ungur's and Pavel's hand and bursts intro tears. Adrian goes back to the bench and receives a hand shake and a warm hug from Andrei. Could you ask for more from him, a guy ranked 164 places below his opponent, who played from equal to equal?

"I can't walk a single step," Nalbandian said after the match. "I thought I would be in better shape but I have felt really bad since the first set. If it was a tournament in the tour, I would have retired in the second set. But here, I play for my country."
"I had luck in the third set," Adi admitted. "In the fourth, Nalbandian's experience and greatness were decisive."

Monaco - Hanescu : 7-6 1-6 6-1 6-1

Here is the match which could have brought a point for us. Two players of close values, despite the fact that in the last time Monaco did a lot better. The first set was decided only in a tie-break and Victor managed to save three set points. Finally, after more than an hour, the Argentinian was taking it with 7 points to 5. The second set was a fabulous one for Victor, no one can deny it! Two breaks, 6-1 and Pico having an argument with his racquet = PERFECT. However, the last two... Well, do I have to say anything about them? The score says it all. Hanescu's problem was not physical though.

At the beginning of third set, everything was working for Monaco. Every ball was in and he was able to hit a winner from any corner of the court. This destabilized the Romanian, as he himself admitted later.
"It was a pity I lost a close first set," Victor said. "Then I won easy the second. He was lucky in the beginning of the third set and then I lost the rythm, the focus on the game."

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu