duminică, 27 iunie 2010

Players of the week : John Isner and Nicolas Mahut


"But they are not from Romania or Russia" - you might think. I know it, but I can't overlook this fairy tale match. The American John Isner finally won against Nicolas Mahut from France, after 11h05min. The score was 70-68 in the fifth set.

The match between Isner (25 years old) and Mahut (28 years old) became the longest match ever and the match with the most games played, 183. The matched started on Tuesday, but it was interrupted because of darkness after four sets. The game resumed on Wednesday, but it didn't finish this time neither, interrupted after 7h06min at 59-59. The match finished on Thursday, with the American's victory. "It's really painful, but we spent three incredible days. John served really good. He's a champion. We played the greatest match ever, in the greatest place to play tennis.", said Mahut, who is ranked 148th and went through qualifying. At some juncture as daylight was turning to dusk, Isner said: "I was completely delirious... Even though it was dark, and no one could see, I wanted a final verdict, win or loose. I didn't want to have to sleep on it. But it wasn't to be."

The other players couldn't remain indifferent to the magnificent effort of the two.
ROGER FEDERER: "It's so impressive to see. I mean, I was watching this. I don't know if I was crying or laughing".
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: "Everybody was watching it in the locker rooms, everywhere. Whoever wins today, I think both of them are winners. I don't know, maybe they should agree on playing tiebreak if it's 50 All".
VENUS WILLIAMS: "It's a marathon. It's longer than a marathon. I think if you moved, you loose your seat".
JOHN MCENROE: " I'm tired watching this. It's Herculean what they're doing... I had to come pay my respects."

Whatever else Isner and Mahut may accomplish in tennis, however many matches or titles each may win, they forever will be associated with these three days at the All England Club and one particular score: 70-68.

I have no words to describe this confrontation. I think for a while people forgot the World Cup and focused on tennis because of them. I said it and I will keep saying: these guys are two heroes. And they won a lot of experience, fans and of course, records in these three days. All I can do is congratulate both of them. I'm really sorry for Nicolas, he played amazing and he had his chance in front of a top player, so this is great. But a French travel company gave him a luxurious holiday, to relax after the marathon against John, which I find very nice, because he deserves all the respects and gifts in the world. :)

Un comentariu:

  1. I was speechless for days after this epic match; still am, I think! Both Isner and Mahut are heroes, like you said. Even if one of them had to come victoriuos out of this match, for me they are winners forever. This match is the one to remember for years to come! I'm glad that I was here to watch this amazing match!

    RăspundețiȘtergere