sâmbătă, 19 iunie 2010

Players of the week : Ekaterina Makarova and Horia Tecau

As you see, this time we have two players of the week, both having the same performance: THE TITLE! From the beautiful Hertogenbosch to the windy Eastbourne, the Russians and the Romanians showed once again their talent and determination.


Ekaterina Makarova played at Eastbourne as a qualifier and won the title. Who would expect this, at a tournament were the favourites were Caroline Wozniacki, Francesca Schiavone, Sam Stosur, Aga Radwanska or Kim Clijsters? And the young Russian had maybe the most difficult draw. First round against Pennetta, the 6th favourite. Only a few problems in the 1st set, because then everything was in her favor. The score was 7-6, 6-1. Next opponent: the second best Russian player of the moment, Nadia Petrova. But there was another Nadia, a Nadia who played really weird and lost, 0-6, 2-6. Next she played against Sveta Kuznetsova, the one who eliminated Sorana in the first round. Again, Ekaterina won, 7-5, 6-4. In the semifinals she faced Sam Stosur, the finalist from Roland Garros. I have to say, I was sure we will see a Stosur-Azarenka final. But no! 7-6, 7-5 for Makarova. Opponent in the final: Viktoria Azarenka. I watched the match. I supported Vika. But Eka was unstoppable, winning, 7-6, 7-5.


Now we're moving to Netherlands for the men's doubles competition. Winners? Robert Lindstedt and Horia Tecau. This is the 3rd title of the season for Horia and the 2nd teaming with Rob. The 5th seeds and the no.29 ATP surprised me first winning the semifinal against the 2nd seeds Moodie and Norman. I think I've never been so attracted by a doubles competition. But seeing Horia playing the final against no.3 ATP and the top seeds Dlouhy and Paes made me supporting them with all my soul. And it worked! After a difficult start, loosing the 1st set with 1-6, the Romanian fighter and his partner came back winning with 10-7 in the 3rd set.

A lot of surprises this week, isn't that? I'm curious what's gonna happen at Wimbledon... Will be everything in Serena's favor like always? Will be Nestor/Zimonjic or the Bryans invincible? I don't think so! :) For more action, watch Wimby! I will :)

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu