sâmbătă, 12 februarie 2011

A Diary : My perfect ATP Slam year

The Grand Slams are the best moments of a tennis year. Well, the Grand Slams and Davis Cup. The beauty, the excitement, the emotions are superior to all the other tournaments. But, also true, the pressure and nervousness are growing too. Only the strong players can be Grand Slam champions. Only those who can stay calm in the most difficult situations. This year, one tourney is already over and I am more than pleased with the winner: Novak Djokovic. Still, three to go.

Roland Garros
French Open is always nice to watch for me. Actually, the first tennis match I've ever seen was the 2009 men's final, so it will always be special. Despite the fact that the almost absolute Nadal domination is very nice, I would prefer to see someone else holding the trophy this year. Again, not that I wouldn't like Rafa or something, but three is a magic number, right? You've probably guessed who I'm talking about. Soderling was the Roland Garros finalist in 2009, winning over Nadal, but losing to Federer, and in 2010, winning over Roger and losing to Rafa. Maybe this year it's time to beat them both, no?

Wimbledon
Another special tournament, in many ways. The oldest and most prestigious Grand Slam. So much tradition, the white of the players' outfits combining perfectly with the green of the grass. The place of some of the finest tennis matches in history. Pancho Gonzales, Arthur Ashe, Bjorn Borg, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and John Isner are only a few of the names who make it memorable. One of my favourite matches from All-England Club was the 2009 final between Andy Roddick and Roger Federer. And only remembering that match makes me want Andy to win this year's tournament. I'm not saying he's having great odds, I'm saying it would be nice, after the title won in front of his home crowd when he was young.

US Open
US Open is probably the most modern Grand Slam of all. And why wouldn't it be? It's New York, people! One big difference is the fact that there are final-set tiebreaks. It's maybe better for the players, but I'm not so sure about the fans. Anyway, this thing doesn't deprive the tournament of great matches. My pick for this year is the same Novak Djokovic. Remember that moment in 2008 when he was booed after his quarterfinal against Andy Roddick? Well, thanks to his awesome personality, Nole got the crowd back on his side in the upcoming years. But I would really enjoy him winning in New York, not just because 'I like him' (d'ooh!), but also because I'd love him to attract even more people, if there's still anyone who remembers that incident as something bad.

As you might noticed, there is no Federer and Nadal. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like them, I actually admire both of them for everything! But I've always liked diversity and I think the tour would become even more interesting and exciting with new guys winning and standing up to these two legends. We have a big year ahead, that's for sure!

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu